The Land Development and Allocation Department’s main functions are:
- To allocate plots of land to applicants for residential, commercial, institutional and industrial purposes within Government housing schemes.
- Provide security of tenure to allottees, to facilitate access to financing for house/building construction.
- Implement Government’s housing programmes and initiatives.
- Monitor housing development and ensure compliance with the Allocation Policy and the Town and Country Planning Act.
- Conceptualize, implement and review as needed policies guiding the land allocation processes
This Department has four sections with the following responsibilities:
- To interview applicants for the allocation of house lots
- Allocation of land
- Investigation and enforcement of the Allocation Policy and the Town and Planning Act
- Conveyance of Block and individual Titles/Transports to CH&PA and allottees respectively
The responsibilities of this Department can be summarized as follows:
- Receive and acknowledge applications for house lots
- Conduct interviews of applicants for land, to determine their eligibility to benefit from the housing programme
- Assist with the management of the Database as it relates to applications and interviews
- Address queries and enquires from the public on the status of their applications
- Allocate land via a lottery system to qualified applicants
- Issue payment vouchers to prospective owners and allottees to effect the acceptance of payment on land
- Prepare Agreements of Sale for the lots allocated
- Process the inclusion/deletion of names to allocation documents prior to the ownership of land via a Transport or a Certificate of Title
- Review of applicant’s income to determine eligibility for a low, moderate or middle category of allocation
- Repossess lots which are not beneficially utilized
- Address complaints, queries from the public
- Effect all legal transactions in relation to land under the jurisdiction of CH&PA
- Process and distribute Transports and Titles to beneficiaries of the housing programme.
- Manage the property registers for all land owned by CH&PA
- Responsible for the processing of requests for disposal of land, inclusion and deletion of names, vesting of property (land) Transported or Titled
- Responsible for effecting cancellations and amendments of Certificates of Title and Transports
Investigation and Enforcement
- Investigate and report on all illegal land transactions
- Enforce CH&PA regulations regarding illegal occupation of land (squatting) and address contravention issues as it relates to land use matters
- Demolish illegal structures on land under the control of CH&PA that contravene the T&CP Act, chapter 20.01.
- Monitor and conduct surveillance activities within housing areas
- Conduct inventory of housing schemes